Wednesday, June 18, 2008

La Femme de Sarko

The second weekend in June marked my annual pilgrimage to Montreal with Mark Hladik for Formula 1 and gastronomic excess. Like last year, we stayed at Sylvie Rosenthal's apartment on Sherbrooke and Chomedey.  Also like last year, I raided her CD collection seeking out new French-language music discoveries. I figured it would be hard to beat last year's big find - the Parisian chanteur Bénabar.  But sure enough, I woke up one morning to a really beautiful song called "Quelqu'un m'a dit" by Carla Bruni, the new wife of Nicolas Sarkozy. 
Who knew. I guess I had just previously dismissed her as a dilettante, after reading that she was the predictable mix of model, actress, and pop singer. But maybe in France you actually have to have a little bit of talent to excel at all three.  Unlike last year, we took the girls with us this time around. Carla (Weinstein, not Bruni) was the mastermind behind the unexpected music discovery this year. A close second to Bruni was Pierre Lapointe's eponymous album.
Oh yeah, and the race was pretty great as well. Robert Kubica, who had a violent and spectacular crash at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in 2007 (which I missed entirely while in line for beer), returned this year to win his first ever Grand Prix.

No comments: